Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card review!
Updated: Dec 17, 2020
This is the premium credit card offered by Chase. It has a plethora of benefits and perks that make it one of the most valuable credit cards to have.
Annual Fee: $550
What type of earning do I get?
10x points on Lyft till March 2022.
3x points per dollar on dining and travel transactions worldwide.
1x points per dollar on all other purchases.
$300 of travel credits
· Any purchase that is coded as travel by Chase will be eligible for the travel credit. The credit automatically applies and can be used for airline tickets, hotel stays, car rentals, and more!
50% Redemption Bonus
· When you redeem your points through the Chase Ultimate Rewards Travel portal, they are worth 50% more. That means that 50,000 points are worth $750 rather than the standard $500. This means that every Chase point is worth at least 1.50 cents if used on travel.
TSA Precheck or Global Entry
· This one is pretty standard among premium credit cards. Every 4 years, you can get a $100 credit for Global Entry or $85 every 4.5 years for TSA Precheck. I would suggest to go with Global Entry as it offers TSA Precheck as well and faster immigration when you travel internationally. Plus, you get an extra $15 of value with Global Entry when compared to TSA Precheck.
Priority Pass Select
· Chase also partners with Priority Pass so you can enter lounges through that route with 2 guests. Chase allows you to eat at Priority Pass restaurants unlike American Express, so there is some extra value there (especially when traveling with family).
· Free DashPass subscription that allows for unlimited free deliveries.
· $120 in statement credits to DoorDash. The credits are doled out in $60 increments each year and the second $60 will be activated in January 2021 for use till December 2021.
· 15% off every Lyft ride.
· One year of Lyft Pink when activated by March 31st, 2022
· $120 back on Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021
· Extended Warranty: Adds a year on top of a manufacturer’s existing coverage if the manufacturer's warranty is 3 years or less.
· Purchase protection: Theft, accidental damage, or loss is covered within 120 days of purchase. A great example might be that new phone or laptop that you leave behind 😊
· Trip Delay: $500 per ticket if delayed for more than 6 hours.
· Trip Cancellation: $10,000 per person, and $20,000 per trip for pre-paid non-refundable travel expenses when the trip is canceled or cut short by sickness.
· Luggage: $3,000 per passenger if luggage, carry-on or checked, is lost by the carrier.
The Chase Sapphire Reserve is the apex of premium credit cards. Here’s why I believe it has great value. First, the $300 credit is essentially cash towards the annual fee. That leaves $150 to spend. With the DoorDash subscription and $60 credit, $90 is left. The $90 comes from the ability to eat at Priority Pass restaurants. After American Express took away that privilege, this card is one of the few that still allows restaurants. This combined with the 3x earning rate on travel and dining and 50% redemption bonus should make it more than possible to gain value from the credit card.